First: Determine if there is a real need for more milk.
Is baby gaining enough weight?
Is he/she eliminating appropriate for her age?
Successful breastfeeding tips:
- No artificial nipples! (no pacifiers, bottles, etc) for the first few weeks.
- Rest. Making milk is a new mom's primary occupation, resting gives the body a chance to focus.
- Hydrate. Drink a 10-12 ounce glass of water every time you nurse. Water in helps milk production.
- Herbal tea. Fenugreek, mother wort and red raspberry leaf herbal teas can help increase milk production.
- Nursing-In. Take an in house retreat, by taking baby to bed for 2 days, mom and baby naked from the waist up. Skin to skin contact, frequent nursing, extra fluids for mom, healthy meals and snacks, lots of naps for both can help restore a diminished milk supply.