Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy BIRTHday, Sam!

Sam turns 11 on August 12. My baby, my youngest kiddo. And, of course, does not like being referred to as "my baby." But he is. My labor with him was a little crazy. After nightly contractions for nearly a week  past my due date, I was ready to throw in the towel and agree to just keep him in there a little longer. On Friday morning, I woke up with a "to do" list longer than my arm. Light contractions that I heartily ignored kept coming all morning. At 10 am I drove Angela, my 16 year old daughter to the DMV to take her drivers exam.  I tried to help calm her nerves while silently calming my own nervousness inside. Here was my oldest child taking her drivers test while my body pleaded to bring forth my youngest child...at the same time. Crazy! We made it through her test, managed lunch and play dates for the afternoon, and took Angela to the mall for her part time job. She was surprised when I got out of the car to run for some last minute items. (Unfortunately the department store didn't have my size nursing bra in stock and would order for me. When would I need it? Uh, we could barely contain our laughter....) After a dinner of pizza delivered by our local pizza shop, I was ready to deliver this baby. Finally, I decided it was time to actually lay down, maybe rest a bit somewhere around 9 pm. At midnight my husband called the midwife, saying it was time. She was on her way to a home where they were having thier first baby. She promptly turned the car around and headed to my house. She arrive just in time to catch our healthy baby boy, born just before 1 am on August 12. Angela was my doula, a job she didn't ask for, but willingly did. And she was amazing! I love retelling my kids birth stories. No matter how old they are or how old I become, those days will always be some of the best days of my life. Sam, Happy Birthday buddy! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment