A suppressed immune system caused by the use of steroids, antibiotics or illness can precede a thrush invasion.
Simple home rememdies include:
- Gentian Violet, swabbed in baby's mouth and applied externally to mom's nipples. This is a bit messy, so simply put an oil based barrier (coconut oil or olive oil) on babys lips first.
- Washing the breasts with a solution of diluted white vinegar and warm water.
- Avoid nursing pads that contain plastic, as it will encourage the overgrowth of yeast.
- Wash all clothing items that come in contact with baby and with mom's breasts in hot water with bleach. Drying garments in the sun can help kill the yeast, as well.
If you and your baby do not respond well to these home remedies, your doctor can prescribe medications:
- Nystatin is an antifungal liquid that can be applied safely in the baby's mouth.
- Diflucan is an oral antifungal medication used to treat thrush.
- Sore nipples
- Cracked skin on nipples.
- Shooting pain in breasts.