Benefits of perineal massage:
- Helps the tissue to become supple and stretchy.
- Gives the woman a chance to become accustomed to relaxing when slight pressure is on the perineum.
- Enhances the birth by providing a tactile focal point for pushing.
- Wash hands and trim nails carefully.
- Use a mild oil such as coconut oil, sweet almond or olive oil to lubricate the index finger.
- Gently massage the perineal tissue, holding it between the index finger and thumb.
- Use mild pressure, which should feel like stretching.
- Eventually use two fingers, expanding the tissue as you gently massage.
- Do not apply too much pressure.